Originally known as Huish Episcopi County Secondary School, this school was opened in July 1940, although because of the war, there was no opening ceremony. Its appearance caused some concern at the time. A letter to the Western Gazette published on 5 July 1940 reported ‘the opinion expressed by many residents that the new schools at Huish Episcopi should be camouflaged as soon as possible. To an enemy aeroplane they might easily be mistaken for an aerodrome or other military station and would offer a very tempting target’. Fortunately, the school survived unscathed.
The senior pupils from the Board School in North Street were transferred to the new secondary school. Their headmaster, Harry G Jefferies, transferred with them to become the new school’s first headmaster. He retired in 1949 after over 40 years in the teaching profession. It gained academy status and opened a sixth form facility in 2010.
Click on an image to enlarge it and see the caption