The original settlement of Langport grew up around the fortifications on The Hill, and a market place was established there. Between the market place and the foot of the hill, the road was called Up Street, a name which persisted well into the 19th century, until it became known as The Hill. The road from the market place to the Hanging Chapel was known as Cheapstreet, but later as part of The Hill. The parish church of All Saints’ dominates the skyline, and the 15th century Hanging Chapel arches over the road, where it probably formed the east gate of the town. Larger houses such as Annandale and Vincent Stuckey’s Hill House were built here. The Langport Grammar School moved to The Hill, and a Baptist Chapel was erected in 1851.
To the east of the Hanging Chapel, the houses on the north side of Bond’s Pool lane stand in Langport. The lane used to lead to a field called Paine’s or Payne’s Corner, now mostly built over.
Continuing eastwards, The Hill soon crosses the boundary into Huish Episcopi, and leads to the church of St Mary, Huish Episcopi. The National School stood here, and the larger houses of The Gateway and Huish House are interspersed with more modern developments.