North Street formed part of the turnpike road to Somerton, but the properties were mostly larger than those of Bow Street. The Vicarage, the Post Office and the Police Station were in North Street at one time. The Black Swan and the White Lion provided refreshments to travellers. There was a sheep and cattle market, as well as an annual horse and colt fair, both of which were held in the road until in 1890, when they moved to a piece of land donated by James Broadmead, opposite the school.
Click on an image to enlarge it and see the caption