The National Day School for boys and girls was established on The Hill in 1827. In the grounds a pair of cottages was built for the Schoolmaster, facing east (now called The Old School House), and the Schoolmistress, facing west (now called The Beeches). In 1833 there was a day-school and a Sunday school for 80 children, but when the Board School opened in 1876, the day school was no longer needed. The building was demolished by 1903. The school houses now have tiled roofs, and the beech trees for which the schoolmistress’s house was named have succumbed to disease and had to be cut down.
Click on an image to enlarge it and see the caption